Our Mission & History
The community of St. Cecilia School strives to promote an atmosphere conducive to meeting the spiritual, intellectual, social and physical needs of each student. This vital growth process incorporates the values of love, prayer, morality and service, reinforced by our Catholic faith, to afford each student the knowledge, skills and guidance essential to the formative years. St. Cecilia will promote an awareness in each student of his/her own special gifts and talents and the ability to utilize each of these to its greatest potential.
The beginning of St. Cecilia School is largely due to the ambition of Father Arthur Drossaerts, pastor of Sacred Heart Church during the turn of the century. The original building was constructed at a cost of $25,000. Under the supervision and direction of the Sisters of Divine Providence, St. Cecilia School opened in August of 1909. The school opened with an enrollment of seventy students. In 1922, St. Cecilia was accredited as an elementary and secondary school by the Department of Education. Enrollment continued to increase until 1964 when Reverend P.G. John Kemps, then pastor of Sacred Heart Church, announced that the high school would close by order of the Bishop of Lafayette, in the interest of initiating a movement to consolidate the Catholic high schools in Lafayette Parish. In 1974, the Sisters of Divine Providence announced that they could no longer serve the school. Since that time, the faculty has consisted of lay teachers.
In 1978, the school original building was completely renovated and a new cafeteria was constructed. The old gymnasium, built in 1935, burned in the early hours of October 8, 1981. The following year, a modern, air-conditioned facility was completed includes a gymnasium, six classrooms, dressing rooms, a stage, and a spacious, fully equipped kitchen. The original building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 14, 1983. An administrative wing, with an updated library, was completed in 1995 and dedicated to the Sisters of Divine Providence.
Seeing a need for an up-to-date science lab, the school’s administration began plans for a building to house this specially equipped classroom for grades sixth through eighth. Completed in 2000, Herpin Hall consists of this room and two fifth grade classrooms.
In 2008, school leaders envisioned a permanent space for a Day Chapel, a larger library, and two new computer labs. The student body participated in blessing this facility in October 2011. Visitors will also find two fourth grade classrooms, the Religion Department, and two small meeting spaces in this facility.
Today, St. Cecilia School educates approximately 485 students, in grades pre-kindergarten (age four) through eighth.